The Association mentoring scheme
Our mentoring scheme has been set up so that members interested in having a mentor, or receiving coaching, can access a team of trained Association of Anaesthetists mentors across the UK.
The Association mentoring scheme is voluntary for both mentors and mentees and all services are free of charge.
Potential mentees can book a session with one of our trained mentors in their region via the scheme. All Association mentors have attended a 4-6 day training course, based on Gerard Egan's 'skilled helper' model.
How to choose a mentor
As a potential mentee you should:
- Specify on the booking form the region in which you want to attend a mentoring session
- The Association will give you 2-3 options for available mentors in that region. We avoid matching mentors with mentees in the same hospital unless you specify this as a preference
- You choose which mentor you prefer, or let us know if you have no preference
- You complete the booking form and send it to email@example.com
- We contact the chosen mentor to check their availability. If unavailable, we aim to find you an alternative mentor in your region
- We then send confirmation emails to both you and the chosen mentor, passing on your respective contact details
- It's up to you and the mentor to communicate and arrange the time and place for your first and any further sessions
- If you haven't contacted or responded to the mentor's email within one month the mentor is asked to let us know
- We will request written feedback from you and your mentor after your final session