Become a mentor
Mentoring others through challenges and opportunities can be a rewarding experience.
The Association is always looking for volunteers to become part of our mentoring scheme. Find out more about the scheme and how to apply to become a mentor.
The Association mentoring scheme
The Association's mentoring scheme allows anaesthetists interested in having a mentor or receiving coaching to access a team of trained mentors throughout the country.
This is a voluntary scheme for both mentors and mentees, with services being provided free of charge.
All Association mentors are expected to either have attended our 4-6 day training course (link), based on Gerard Egan's 'skilled helper' model or have the equivalent experiences and qualifications.
What's expected of a mentor
As part of the scheme mentors will be required to:
- Be part of a pool of Association mentors to whom potential mentees can be referred
- Provide mentoring services at our conferences with sufficient notice given
- Allow us to publish your name, location and availability as a mentor on our website
- Consent to being contacted by mentees after they have initially contacted us with a request for a mentor
- Arrange to meet mentees and, following agreement, set dates for further meetings
- Commit to helping the mentee for as long or as little as agreed between you both
- Contact us if you are not able to meet the mentee's needs
- Maintain contact with mentees. In the event that you have to cancel a meeting, it's the responsibility of the mentor to arrange a new date.
- Maintain confidentiality in working with your mentee(s) within the bounds of Good Medical Practice
- Be evaluated by mentees for purposes of monitoring
- Be ready to share non confidential information with us for evaluation purposes
- Be aware of the Association's policy on diversity (link)
Applying to become a mentor
If you agree with the above please fill out our application form and return it to email@example.com