How the Association works
The Association is formed of two separate legal entities:
- Association of Anaesthetists of Great Britain & Ireland. Registered as a company limited by guarantee no. 1888799 (England)
- AAGBI Foundation. Registered as a company limited by guarantee no. 1963975 (England), as a charity in England & Wales no. 293575 and in Scotland no. SC040697
Association of Anaesthetists is the brand name used to refer to both the Association of Anaesthetists of Great Britain & Ireland and its related charity, AAGBI Foundation.
Objectives of the Association
The objectives of the Association set out in its constitution are to:
- Advance and improve patient care and safety in the field of anaesthesia and disciplines allied to anaesthesia
- Promote and support education and research in anaesthesia, medical specialties allied to anaesthesia, and science relevant to anaesthesia
- Represent, protect, support, and advance the interest of its members
- Encourage and support worldwide co-operation between anaesthetists
Learn more about the Association's ambitions in our Long-term strategy or read our Annual Reports.
Objectives of the AAGBI Foundation
The AAGBI Foundation is a registered charity governed by a board of trustees (who include Association elected council members, officers and vice presidents), as well as independent trustees.
The objectives of the AAGBI Foundation set out in its constitution are to:
- Advance public education in and the promotion of those branches of medical science concerned with anaesthesia, including its history
- Promote the study and research into anaesthesia and related sciences and the publication of the results of all such study and research
- Advance patient care and safety in the field of anaesthesia and disciplines allied to anaesthesia, in the United Kingdom, Ireland and anywhere else in the world
Learn more about the Association's ambitions in our Long-term strategy or read our Annual Reports