What is the Evelyn Baker Award?
The Evelyn Baker Award was instigated by Dr Margaret Branthwaite in 1998, dedicated to the memory of one of her former patients at the Royal Brompton Hospital. The award recognises the ‘unsung heroes’ of anaesthetic departments, the often unspoken backbone of the department who is the ‘go to’ person for clinical or other advice. The award is given to individuals who set themselves apart from peers by demonstrating an exemplary track record in clinical excellence, teaching and training, and supporting colleagues.
The Evelyn Baker Award is presented during the Winter Scientific Meeting (WSM) held each January in London.
To be eligible, a nominee:
- Must be a consultant or SAS doctor in anaesthesia, usually with more that ten years in post
- Must be in clinical practice at the time the nomination is submitted (but can have retired by the time the award is presented)
- Must be a current member of the Association
- Must NOT be in possession of a NATIONAL Clinical Excellence Award
Nomination is by citation, which:
- Must be submitted by a current member of the Association
- Should include an indication that the nominee has broad support within their department
- May include additional comments from departmental and other colleagues.
The citation which should be of 1000 words or fewer, should explain how the nominee demonstrates outstanding competence that sets them apart from others, under the following headings:
- Clinical excellence (encompassing technical proficiency, consistently reliable clinical judgement and wisdom, and skill in communicating with patients, their relatives and colleagues)
- Teaching and training (encompassing the ability to train and enthuse trainee colleagues is seen as an integral part of communication skill, extending beyond formal teaching or academic presentation)
- Supporting colleagues and co-workers
Nominations are now invited for the Evelyn Baker Award. Nominations, accompanied by a citation of up to 1,000 words, should be sent to the Honorary Secretary at HonSecretary@anaesthetists.org by 17:00 on 6 August 2021.