About this online seminar
While UK has over 17 physician anaesthesia providers per 100,000 population, most of the countries in the Global South have much less than the recommended minimum of 5/100 000. How do we close that gap? How can policy makers and international community support anaesthesia providers training? What about workforce retention and continuous professional education? There are no easy answers.
During this seminar you will hear from those who have wealth of experience in the field of anaesthesia workforce development and training. Presentations will include an overview from the WHO representatives, local voices from Sierra Leone and Nepal, and current developments in virtual training. The event will culminate in a panel discussion among an international team of surgeons and anaesthetists.
The seminar is for everyone interested in global anaesthesia and surgery, training and education. We welcome participants at any stage of career, from all specialities and backgrounds.
Organiser: Dr Anna Janowicz, London
• Drs Sara Halimah and Neil Mark Shorney, WHO Trauma Operational and Advisory team (TOpAT)
• Dr Eric Vreedes and Dr Eva Hanciles, Connaught Hospital, Freetown, Sierra Leone
• Prof Mark Newton, Kijabe Hospital, Kenya
• Dr Keith Thomson, Retired Consultant Anaesthetist
• Dr Jolene Moore, Consultant Anaesthetist, NHS Grampian & World Anaesthesia Society committee member
• Dr Steve Pickering, Calvary Mater Hospital, Australia and United Mission Hospital, Nepal
Plus, an exciting interactive panel discussion:
Panel discussion speakers:
• Alliance Niyukuri (GASOC International Surgical Representative, Burundi)
• Leonid Daya (GASOC International Anaesthesia Representative, Cameroon)
• Bameka Agery (GASOC International Obstetrics and Gynaecology Representative, Uganda)
Joining the online seminar
You can log in from the comfort of your own home, your office, or any where else that is convenient. All you need is a decent internet connection and a quiet room. We encourage all delegates to attend online seminars live to ensure you get the most out of the learning experience and interaction with the speakers.
Please ignore questions about access and dietary requirements during the booking process. Further details will be sent automatically via email. Please ensure the email we have for you is correct, and remember to check for updates in that email account in the week prior to the online seminar.