Environmental Champions Network
With increasing focus around sustainability and environmental implications of healthcare and our clinical practice the environmental champions network aims to maintain links and facilitate communications between members and the Association on these important matters. This will support us in achieving our environment strategy targets and deliver on our joint environmental policy statement.
The Association undertakes many important initiatives which have a profound influence on the way anaesthetists practice. To be effective these require continuing participation and input from all members. The environmental champions network is instrumental to this and will coordinate local participation of national initiatives undertaken at the Association as set out in the charter below.
Becoming an environmental champion
We are looking for at least one anaesthetist volunteer from every hospital in the UK & Ireland. If you are interested in supporting your department in this role please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to express an interest and for further information.
Environmental champions charter
This sets out the basis for the relationship between the environmental champions and the Association of Anaesthetists.
The Association will:
- Keep champions regularly informed with network project updates and activity of the Environment and Sustainability Committee (online updates and via 6 monthly webinar)
- Provide champions with suitable promotional materials for educational events, national campaign days (Sustainability Day and Clean Air Day) and for other purposes as may occur from time to time
- Be responsive in a timely manner to requests from champions for information and advice
- Invite champions virtually to the environment session at Annual Congress (annually)
The Association recognises that there are often others, such as trainees and supporting anaesthetic staff, who are involved in data collection for larger projects. Whilst they will not be named as the environmental champion we encourage this team work and will recognise contributions made by all staff to this network by means of an official letter of thanks.
- Be an active member of the Association
- Provide an up-to-date email address which is checked regularly and whose mailbox is routinely emptied so that communications do not 'bounce'
- Aim to attend the Annual Congress environment session associated networking session (at least virtually) biannually and at least one of our update webinars annually
- Respond to requests for, and be responsible for collection and submission of, data from your hospital that has been requested by the Association to collate a national dataset for sustainability topics to identify areas for improvement across the specialty as a whole and feed results back to your department
- Respond to local members queries and concerns around the environment and sustainability and where appropriate pass them centrally to the Association
- Help to raise the profile of environmental sustainability and the work of the Association by dissemination of information from us in relation to national campaigns (Sustainability Day and Clean Air Day) and educational events from the Association
- Advertise and encourage attendance and participation at the Annual Congress environment session, Barema and Association environment award submissions and sustainability case report submissions
- Keep the Environment and Sustainability Committee informed of local ideas, progress and examples of sustainable projects that have been successfully embedded in your department and use these to populate case report templates for information sharing on our environment web pages
- Ensure that the role of environment champion is self-sustaining and establish the next champion within your Trust before stepping down and notify the Association of the change
There may be a requirement for more than one champion within your Trust depending on how the department /sub departments are organised. If you feel this to be the case please get in touch with email@example.com to discuss further.
The Environment and Sustainability Committee does not have specific funding for environmental champions and for work performed by them. The Association hugely appreciates work undertaken by the champions and to show our thanks we will arrange complimentary virtual attendance to the environment session at Annual Congress via live webinar. We also send a formal letter on behalf of the Association which can be used as portfolio evidence.