This guideline makes recommendations about the organisation and management of the anaesthesia team, and the key roles and responsibilities within it. Information includes:
- Training and standards for all team members
- The need for dedicated qualified assistance wherever anaesthesia is administered
- Monitoring of the development of the physicians' assistant (anaesthesia) (PA(A)s)
- Relationships between anaesthetists and non-medical personnel
- The role of the Clinical Director, other consultants, and the Clinical Services Manager
- Pre- and postoperative management of the patient
The supplement discusses trained assistance for the anaesthetist and states that the anaesthetic assistance role should be undertaken by a registered practitioner.