Dr Peter Homa, Chair
NHS Leadership Academy
Peter has 36 years NHS management experience including 27 as chief executive in three university teaching hospitals and two national organisations including the Commission for Health Improvement.
In November 2017 Peter retired from being Chief Executive of Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust (NUH); one of the largest and most complex teaching hospitals in the UK. Peter served as NUH’s chief executive for over eleven years. During this time, NUH became the most research active teaching trust outside of London, Oxford and Cambridge. Peter chaired the Association of UK University Hospitals Chief Executive forum between 2014/2017. He has a track record of leading innovative management that simultaneously improves the quality of patient care, teaching and research alongside value for money.
Following retirement, Peter was appointed foundation Chair, NHS Leadership Academy. Peter also provides advice to many NHS organisations across the UK.
Peter was elected President, Institute for Health Services Management, in 1998/99; appointed a CBE in the Queen’s Birthday Honours in 2000 for contributions to the health service. Peter was one of four independent experts appointed by Sir Robert Francis to review the recommendations following the Mid Staffordshire Foundation Trust public inquiry. Peter was also a member of the Freedom to Speak up review, also led by Sir Robert Francis.
Professor Colin Melville, Consultant Neuroanaesthetist
Institute for Neurological Sciences, Glasgow
Professor Colin Melville’s work in medical education and leadership goes back to 1997, and has included roles such as Clinical Director, Medical Director and Director of Medical Education. Colin was also responsible for the local introduction of foundation training in 2005, the delivery of modernising medical careers and supporting and developing the final year curriculum for the first cohort of Hull York Medical School students in 2007.
In 2012 Colin took up a full time clinical academic post as Head of MBChB and then Head of Medical Education at Warwick Medical School and in 2015 was appointed as Head of the Medical School at Lancaster University.
Colin took up his role as Director of Education and Standards in January 2017 at the GMC and has already made significant contributions to the work of the GMC; overseeing the launch of several key documents in support of postgraduate medical education and more recently in the review of Outcomes for Graduates.
In June 2018, Colin was appointed Honorary Professor of Medical Education at the University of Manchester.
Peter’s first degree is in economics and he has Master and Doctorate degrees in Business Administration. Peter has held Honorary Chairs at London School of Economics; Universities of Lincoln; Surrey and Nottingham Business School.
- Dr Albin Augustine, Royal Stoke University Hospital
- Dr Maggie Babb, Royal Stoke University Hospital
- Dr Jim Brunning, Dudley
- Dr Mike Charlesworth, Wythenshawe Hospital, Manchester
- Dr Nick Coleman, Stoke-on-Trent
- Dr Andrea Cooper, Birmingham Children's Hospital
- Dr Shireen Edmends, University Hospital West Midlands
- Dr Ingie Elysaed, Stoke-on-Trent
- Dr Tom Eke, Norfolk and Norwich Hospital
- Dr Kathleen Ferguson, Aberdeen Royal Infirmary
- Dr Richard Griffiths, Peterborough City Hospital
- Dr Sarah Hare, Medway Maritime Hospital
- Dr Ann Harvey, Royal Cornwall Hospital
- Dr Tim Hayes, Manchester
- Dr Carl Hillerman, Coventry
- Dr Hayder Hussain, University Hospitals Birmingham
- Dr Helgi Johannsson, Imperial College Healthcare, London
- Dr Emily Johnson, Worcester Acute Hospitals
- Prof Andrew Klein, Papworth Hospital, Cambridge
- Dr Yat Li, The Royal Wolverhampton
- Dr Caroline Leech, Coventry
- Dr Will Lester, Birmingham
- Prof Ravi Mahajan, Royal College of Anaethetists
- Dr Jeremy Marwick, Birmingham
- Dr Elizabeth McGrady, Glasgow Royal Infirmary
- Dr Chris Mowatt, Shrewsbury
- Dr Douglas Natush, Torbay Hospital
- Dr Jai Patel, Birmingham
- Dr Amit Pawa, Guy's & St Thomas' Hospital
- Dr Ravi Rao Baikady,
- Dr Nancy Redfern, Royal Victoria Infirmary, Newcastle
- Dr Ed Rysdale,
- Dr Matt Rooney, Birmingham
- Dr Ewan Shearer, Aintree
- Dr Mark Stacey, HEIW , Cardiff and Vale
- Dr Tim Smith, Perth
- Dr Laura Tasker, Birmingham
- Dr Ben Taylor, Stoke-on-Trent
- Dr Matt Wiles, Sheffield Teaching Hospitals